The important celebrations on this day take place at Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) Sita Samahit Sthal (Sitamarhi) (Bihar), Bhadrachalam (Andhra Pradesh) and Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu), Shirdi(Maharastra) thronged by thousands of devotees.
Life history of Rama
Rama is believed as seventh incarnation of Supreme God Vishnu. Though he is a lord,he was born on earth as a human to destroy demon Ravan who had a got a boon from Lord Brahma that he cannot be killed by any other except human thought to be they don't have enough strenght to defeat him.Rama was well known to be ideal son,brother, husband, king and friend.
Dasharath,the ruler king of Ayodya had three wives named Kausalya, Kaikayi, and Sumitra but had no children. Therefore he decided to perform the ashvamedh sacrifice. At the end, a man had come from the fire offering him a divine beverage. He gave this to his wives and they are blessed with children Rama to Kausalya,Bharath to Kaika, Laxman and Shatrugna to Sumitra. Rama when announced to be the next king, Kaika when jealous. She asked her husband to fulfil the two boons given in the past and demands to make her son as the emporer and send Rama to forest.
Ravan king of Lanka, kidnaps Sita, wife of Rama who came along with him to the forest. Later, Rama kills Ravan in the battlefield with the help of monkey kingdom and gets his wife. All the humans were happy listening to the words that Ravan died who were longing for liberation from his menace.
- It is celebrated for nine days
- Many people fast on these nine days or only on the day of Ramnavami by just taking milk and fruits. Some people restrict themselves to a specific diet on these nine days instead of fasting.
- Worship sun in the morning.
- Marriage ceremony of Rama with Sita was conducted at temples. Some people also perform at their home with small idols of Rama and Sita inviting others.
- At noon, a coconut draped in a hooded cloak is placed in a cradle and rocked by devotees. Devotees shower a red, fragrant powder and flowers onto it.The coconut signifies the baby Rama.
- They give offerings to the dieties.
- Houses are cleaned and decorated
- People chant several names of Lord Rama,traditonal prayers are held.
- Read or Listen the life history of Lord Rama and spiritual discourses.
- Sacred fire ceremony is also performed.
- Take bath in the sea.
- Apply red color dot or streak on there forehead.
- Prepare several dishes,especially sugarcane beverage consisting of jaggery and pepper.
- Fireworks are done
- Chariot processions are also held by keeping idols of Rama along with his wife Sita, brother Lakshman and his great devotee Hanuman.
- Water and Colors were sprinkled on each other
- Meals are organised at temples and also some people invite to their homes
- At shirdi(Maharastra) Ramnavami is celebrated along with Urus festival of Muslims to bring togetherness between people of different religions promoted by Shirdi Sai Baba